Friday 2 May 2014

Class Five

New Apps for Learning Disabilities
by Angela, Lacee and Christine

I liked that this group began their presentation with a Learning Disability definition.
So many of my students have a learning disability and struggle with problem solving in Math, it is really frustrating for them. Technology does make it easier to reach these students and help ease their anxieties with reading and writing.
I really loved how the Apps were organized under each subject! One App that I would like to try is Prizmo; this would be so convenient to use with a mobile device. Students can pretty much scan anything at anytime.
Angela's video clips of the students were so meaningful, it's so nice to see students get so much out their mobile devices. I loved that the one student who was visually impaired was able to document a field trip he was on using Paperport Notes!

I think that there still needs to be a lot more training with the use of mobile devices and the Apps that come along with them. However, it is encouraging to hear stories from the presentations of teacher's implementing the technology available and taking the time to learn how to implement it effectively.


Barb's Presentation-"Assistive Technology: the past, the present and the future"

What resonated with me the most from Barb's presentation was how much technology has changed over such a short period of time. I am in my fifth year of teaching and there has been so much that has changed in terms of access to technology and what programs/Apps are available presently. When I first started, I was lucky to have a Smartboard and a document camera, I couldn't believe how these two pieces of technology helped reach so many learner needs.
The school district put a lot of money into training us how to use the Smartboards, which was very beneficial. This year, I was given three iPads to use; there was no district support in terms of which Apps to use and how to use them. I discovered some on my own and also downloaded some through word of mouth. Most of the Apps were self-explanatory and easy to implement. I am constantly amazed at how many Apps are available that meet so many learner needs.
What stood out from Barb's presentation was the past and present prices for Assistive Technology. The cost and mobility of Assistive Technology has made it so accessible and convenient for all.
It will be interesting to research different Assistive Technology Models and find out how they compare to one another.



1 comment:

  1. Nicole, I agree that PD is so important. I have a Smartboard too, but never received any PD. I have figured out a lot by "playing" on my own and the students have showed me some tricks, but I always wonder if I'm missing something and could be using the technology better because I never had training.

    ReplyDelete