Sunday 25 May 2014

Class 8

This class really made me reflect on how frustrating writing tasks can be. Most of my students use a lap top to type because the idea of writing can and will frustrate them to a point of losing control. If they do any writing when they are with me, it is minimal. When analyzing what goes in to the act of writing, I can see why it can be frustrating. Even before the pencil connects with the paper there is a lot of planning that goes into place. One of the two videos we viewed was about the different kinds of low tech assistive technology that we can offer students to help with their writing skills.


There were AT devices that I have used and seen before, but there were also some that I haven't seen. The plumbing insulation is a great idea and cheap! I also liked the writing bird and the tool that looked like a pair of pliers. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for some of the tools mentioned in the video.


The second video we watched delivered excellent insight about what goes into writing. I did not know that your core would be essential when it comes to writing. Students would benefit from sitting on an exercise ball or Hokkie stool to improve trunk control.




It was also noted in class that rich language experiences are essential before attending to the writing task.
This is especially important for our students who are English Language Learners.











 



1 comment:

  1. Hi Nicole,
    It's true, there is a lot of skill that is required for writing. I've never really thought about how posture or fine motor control impact writing, and I can't imagine having students who get so frustrated they might lose control! This class was eye-opening for me.
    Christine

    ReplyDelete